From the Basque region of northern France comes unadulterated sweet-tart flavor in small batches of this special confit of luscious, tender cherries in a light, pourable syrup
Sweet Basque Cherry Confit is a fantastic, flavorful artisan fruit preserve that is made with rare cerises noires (black cherries) harvested and handcrafted near the village of Itxassou in the French Basque Country.
Modern demands for higher yield fruit have diminished production of this unique cherry from three hundred tons in the 1920s to little more than three tons today.
This international award-winning, small production cherry jam offers a taste of times gone by. Made with only cherries, cane sugar, lemon juice and pectin—no fruit juice concentrates or fillers—what stands out is the unadulterated sweet-tart flavor and luxurious texture of cherries.
Traditionally used as the filling for the double-crust tart called Gâteau Basque, Sweet Basque Cherry Confit, can be enjoyed in so many ways, and here are just a few:
- Spoon over ice cream
- Top a cream puff (messy but delicious!)
- Serve with Basque sheep's milk cheeses like Idiazabal or Ossaue-Iraty cheese
- Slather on hot buttermilk biscuits, or toast or pancakes
- Spoon over the top of a chocolate cake
- Make mini tarts topped with mascarpone
- Pile them on top of cheesecake
- Bake into croissant bread pudding
- Enjoy on a scone with clotted cream
- Stir in a tiny bit of balsamic and serve with roasted duck breast
We know you will find even more ways to enjoy this yummy and luscious artisanal cherry jam!
Ingredients: Black cherries, sugar, lemon juice, pectin.
Size: 7.05 ounces / 200 grams in a glass jar